Monday, July 07, 2008

Some anniversary present...and I mean that!

Happy Anniversary to us!! Nine years! Wow...that flew by!

Let me share with you the !!WONDERFUL!! present Brett gave me....
Yep, that's right....it's a bag of baby carrots!! Now all of you back in the States probably think this is the world's worst anniversary present--one that my husband just picked up at the grocery store on his way home from work. Am I right...come on, you know you're thinking it! :o) However, if you've ever lived outside of the U.S. I'm sure you'll understand my complete and utter happiness at getting baby carrots for my anniversary present!!! Baby carrots are such a normal thing back home, but in our nearly 2 years living in the Philippines, I have NEVER seen them here!!!! A friend told me once that she found them here, and I have been looking and looking ever since...with no luck. But let me tell you, this is proof to me that Heavenly Father knows us intimately! I'm sure you're dying to know how a bag of baby carrots is proof of a loving Father in Heaven---so I'm gonna tell ya. Here it goes:

I spent our anniversary in the hospital today...having about a million x-rays and CT scans....not to mention all the ultrasounds and exams I had done on the 4th of July last Saturday at the same hospital! And tests here are NOT like in the States....you wait FOREVER here!!! And I do mean FOREVER!!! Let's just say it hasn't been a fun few days for me. And now after all the tests, I found out today that I have to have surgery tomorrow. Happy Anniversary to me!! To tell you the truth, I am actually relieved because I finally know the reason I have been feeling so awful for the past few weeks. The only problem is: I'm in a third world country. Surgery is not exactly on my list of things to do while living here....but then again, neither was having a baby. But I survived that, and I'm sure I'll survive this as well!

Anyway, back to the reason that I know Heavenly Father knows me so well: Because He knows that I have been looking and looking for baby carrots....He knows that I have had an awful few days....He knows that finding carrots would make me super happy....and He knew that Brett needed to find baby carrots TODAY to help me deal with this surgery. Amazing, isn't it!!! Even though I'm stuck in some pretty crazy circumstances at the moment, I can't help but feel blessed!

7 comments:

Tom and Audrie said...

Good Luck with surgery. What is it for??? Hope your recovery is quick and easy for you.

Anonymous said...

We're praying for you and your surgery. Great story about the carrots!

FYI, Cindy and I are trying to come to visit you in the Philippines Oct 12-16 (approximately). Would those dates (or slightly earlier) work out for you? Please just email us or phone.
Thanks!
Tim

Court and Jill said...

How amazing that Brett found the carrots! I'm so glad! Good luck with your upcoming surgery...keep us posted!

Jen said...

Happy Anniversary! We got married in 1999 as well. I hope you are recovering quickly.

Anonymous said...

Katie, We hope the surgery went well. Who has time to have surgery with such a young family? Hopefully you're feeling much better now.

Anonymous said...

Apparently I'm new at all this. I'll try the byline again.

Jocelyn said...

Did you ever think you would be wanting a bag of carrots for an anniversary present?! Too funny! What a bummer to be in the hospital for your anniversary though. I hope things are going a lot better now than they were last month.