Monday, March 10, 2008

Surprise!!!

Everyone was in on it (including Brett), and I was COMPLETELY oblivious to the whole thing....

This is how it all went down:

A couple of weeks ago my friend, Jenny (who is practically the carbon copy of me--so much so it's almost scary!), talked me into going to breakfast with her. The only problem was that I wasn't feeling well and wasn't sure if I was going to go. So Brett talked me into going by saying, "I think you NEED to go...this may be one of the last times you'll get out before the baby." And let me tell ya, he was pretty darn convincing!!! Still feeling a little reluctant because of how I felt (I knew I'd pay for it later), I agreed. The only thing was that I was going to be a little late because my helper (nanny/maid..for those of you not "in the know") couldn't get here at her usual time. I didn't think it would be a problem because it was just Jenny and I going. So I really didn't rush or worry about being on time, which is not me at all....typically I HATE being late!

I got out of the shower at about the time I was supposed to be leaving...but I didn't worry, it was just breakfast afterall. A few minutes later when I got a text from Jenny saying that she needed to take a pyrex dish to our other friend, Mary, because she was having a dinner party that day--I REALLY didn't worry because I figured she wasn't in any hurry either. And of course I got stuck in Manila traffic that morning on the way to Jenny's house...but again, I didn't worry!

When we got to her house, we rushed right out the door....which was a little odd, but I figured Jenny was just really hungry. We arrived at Mary's house about an hour after we had actually planned to be at breakfast, and Jenny told me that I needed to go in with her for a tour. So of course I went, thinking absolutely nothing of it and wanting to see Mary's house!

But this is what happened next:



The door opened and everyone yelled, "Surprise"! And boy WAS it a surprise!!! Notice my totally unsuspecting face...It took me quite awhile to actually figure out what was happening. I think I was in shock for most of the baby shower!



Notice Jenny.... She was SO sly, she even brought the pyrex in...which I found out later was a total prop!! Although, Jenny did tell me, "Mary IS having a dinner party today...YOUR dinner party!" Ha, ha!!! :o)

And here's the other culprits: The ladies from our Tuesday class/church:



These ladies are the absolute best!!! They are the people who keep me sane while living in this often insane and always VERY foreign place. They all brought yummy food (which I'm sure was A LOT better than anything Jenny or I would have eaten had we REALLY gone out to breakfast! :o)

It was a FUN morning and I am so grateful for these ladies and all the help and support they have given me! Not only did they throw me this surprise baby shower, but they have also been bringing meals for the last several weeks...and have plans to bring meals through the end of March! How great is that!!!!

As most of you reading this blog know, we have lived all over the U.S. (and now overseas) and have moved SO many times that I'm starting to lose track! I think we're somewhere around 7 or 8 moves in 8 years of marriage. So I'm used to doing everything on my own. It's what I've always done. But these ladies have taught me that its okay to accept a little help now and then...in fact, they have all but forced me to! :o) Its something that I think Heavenly Father has been trying to teach me for awhile....uh, like the last 8 years!!! But it took these ladies and moving to a foreign country for me to finally get it!


P.S. On another note: We had yet another earthquake! If you're keeping track (and I am!) that makes 3 relatively large earthquakes in the 18 months that we've lived here. I think I'm starting to get used to them though. Jenny called me right after it happened. She was a little shocked/worried/freaking out, and I was just like....oh another earthquake, oh well. It definitely was not as scary as the first one!! It's just a part of life here...just like hurricanes were a part of living in Florida and Texas, snowstorms were a part of living in the West, and ice storms were a part of living in the East. There's always SOMETHING to deal with...no matter where you live!! You just learn to live with it, I guess! :o)

3 comments:

Jocelyn said...

How fun! What a great surprise! The shower and the new blog look and 2 posts! Yay! I'm glad they threw you a baby shower and made it a surprise... that's even more fun!

Kimberly said...

I can't believe you are getting so close. I am glad you have such good friends there and a good support system.

Court and Jill said...

What a great party! I love surprises!!! Good luck making it through these last few weeks of pregnancy. I love the name Logan!