It's my Birthday!!!
Here's some pics of *L*'s b-day party. I can't seem to figure out how to line them up and add a caption, so this will just have to do. We didn't do anything too big this year...we're really not "big birthday party throwing" kind of people. We made party hats out of newspaper (birthday supplies are hard to come by here), and just had a few friends over for cake and ice cream. The fun thing about living overseas is that we get to celebrate our birthdays twice: once for here in the Philippines, and once for our families back in the U.S. since they are a day behind us. Our kids LOVE that!!
We had the cake made (something I have never done before...but it's cheap here, so I thought "Why not!"). Notice anything funny about it? Look closely....."Birthday" is spelled "Birthay". At first, I just thought it was a simple mistake. But then I talked to a friend that had the same thing happen to her. So we got talking about how they pronounce sounds differently here, and decided this is probably the way they sounded it out...and the way they really think it's spelled! Too funny!! We notice stuff spelled wrong all the time on billboards, in ads, and at church now. I always get a good chuckle out of it! The other story about the cake is that I went to cut into it and discovered plastic on the top. It was very odd. It turns out that they didn't pull the back off of any of the strawberry shortcake sugar decorations on top...they just put it on the cake with the plastic backing still on!! The frosting here is really sticky and marshmellowy. I had frosting all over my hands trying to get that darn plastic off so we could eat the cake! I really hope it was just an oversight and they don't do that with ALL their cakes!! Still.....I'm not so sure I'm going buy a cake next time! If I had been in the U.S. I would have taken the cake back and asked for a refund...but here, you just chalk it up to a lesson learned! :o) Filippinos really don't like confrontation!

2 comments:
Cute pics! That was so random how they left the plastic on the cake decorations. Too funny!
I'm sorry but I just looked at the pictures again and I can't get over how stinking cute they are! Your kids are so adorable! I especially love the first one of Lily sitting on the counter and the last one of her painting/dotting her newspaper hat!
Post a Comment